

We had a blast in San Antonio!! We got up early Sunday morning and visited the Alamo. I think we all felt a special reverence for it. Sydney spoke very quietly and neither of the girls ran around inside the Alamo. They were amazing - especially since we had to walk in a slow line around the exhibits. We picked up a children's guide to the Alamo from the front desk and that really helped keep Sydney occupied. It had a scavenger hunt on it and Sydney was very determined to find the items on the list. We never found the Alamo key!! I guess we'll have to go back. Aaron & I enjoyed the rendering/map of the Alamo during the seige and attack that they had on display. It was a brutal battle. On our way home we wondered why we need to "remember the Alamo". It was a loss - everyone but the women, children and a few men who surrendered lost their lives. I think it's an example of the American spirit and how men/women have died to protect the indepence and freedoms I enjoy.

Another spectacular part of our trip was the Riverwalk! The girls were SOOOO excited to go on the boats. We had some excitement when a couple ducks decided to attack. I enjoyed learning about their drainage system and how they prevent flooding. They have huge doors that come down to prevent water from channeling through the riverwalk. Our guide said these doors come down as soon as it starts raining. Aaron thought a tree growing out the side of a building was really neat.
2 comments:
I am so going to use your question "Why do we need to remember the Alamo?" for a homeschool essay! What a wonderful thought. Thanks! Perhaps in April, during Fiesta and the Battle of the Flowers, that celebrates the Alamo. Do you know the next part of the story and where "Remember the Alamo" comes from. My kids love the story, they should have told you while you were here.
K sooo.. I am indeed JEALOUS you were at the riverwalk and Alamo!.. I wish I could go back again. It has only been 2 years since I was there but I LOVE IT! Maybe this year... probably not. Glad it was relaxing.
Post a Comment