Sunday, June 29, 2008

Preschool - Transportation


This last week I taught the summer preschool class a unit on transportation. We met for class on Monday and Wednesday and took a ferry trip to Coronado Island on Friday. I had a BLAST teaching. Way more fun than I thought it would be! On Monday we focused on the different types of transportation, air/land/water. We read lots of books and talked about which method each of the kids were taking for their summer vacations. The kids painted cardboard boxes and created their favorite vehicle. We had a lot of dump trucks and planes. In the middle of painting we heard the garbage truck come down the street. So, we ran into the front yard to watch.



The second day we focused on air travel. The kids had tickets and pretended to board a plane in my front room. They LOVED this. I couldn't believe how entertained they were by pretending to be on a plane!! We watched a short film about planes and learned about how fast they go (approx 600 miles per hour), where they store their gas (their wings) and what an engine looks like up close. We served refreshments and the kids took turns being the pilot. After the plane ride we learned about following directions and how vehicles also have to follow rules. The kids grabbed their vehicles from Monday and we played red light/green light. The kids insisted on eating their lunches in their cardboard boxes! After lunch the girls ran through the sprinklers and the boys made roads on the driveway. What a fun day!!

4 comments:

Mitchell Family said...

I'm so sorry we missed it. John would have loved it. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed teaching. I'm always surprised by how much fun teaching preschool is. These are great kids. Ruth

Gina said...

Jen, what a great job you did! Oh, I'm really envying you all with your summer preschool!

Angela said...

You are such a cute mom! Looks like the kids had a blast! How fun to do your own preschool.

The Woodlands said...

You sound like such a phenomenal teacher! Can I go back to preschool and learn about transportation with you?!?
I love the picture of Hailey on the ferry...she looks like she is up to some mischief!