Sunday, June 1, 2008

HELLO June!

Today we turned the calendar to June. Sydney couldn't have been more excited. She started yelling: "It's my birthday month!" She has been inviting friends to her birthday since last July! She wants to have a strawberry shortcake/Pirate birthday. Any ideas??

Talented Haylee:
- Haylee sings in her sleep! I came into her room Tuesday thinking she was awake since she was singing "Puff the magic dragon" at the top of her lungs. It was sweet but way off tune. Her eyes were sealed shut and after singing one line over and over again she rolled over and stoped singing.
- Haylee can identify a song after just a couple notes. Poor Sydney doesn't stand a chance against Haylee in the "Name the Tune" contest. (This is pretty remarkable since Sydney loves to sing as much if not more than Haylee.) A couple of Haylee's favorites are: On top of Spaghetti, Popcorn popping, Once there was a snowman and Row, row, row your boat. I am so grateful for Aaron's musical talent! He has an amazing influence on the girls!!

Sydney's Talents:
- Sydney rocks on the Melody Harp!! She plays London bridges, Yankee Doodle, Take me out to the Ball Game and a few Christmas songs.
- Sydney is an amazing teacher! She worked with Haylee on her ABCs this week. She is so tender with her. What a lucky girl Haylee is to have Sydney for a big sis!



On Thursday Sydney went to a friend's house after preschool so Haylee and I had some special one-on-one time. Haylee wanted to go to a park on the beach so we went up to Encinitas and visited Moonlight beach. On our way down the path to the park we saw a squirrel with the hiccups. Haylee thought this was great so we spent about 10 minutes watching and immitating the poor guy. Haylee insisted that we get in the ocean before we left so I rolled my pants up and we held hands while the waves hit our feet. I can't even write how special this day was with her.


April 2006
May 2008



This week, we said good-bye to my dear friend Jordan and Haylee's best buddy Allison. I am still in denial. Jordan's been my creative inspiration this last year. Some of our projects include: evening of excellence invitations, 2008 mutual theme cards, quietbooks, mountain landscape waterpaintings, primary chair covers, Primary children world quilt...etc. I'll miss you Jordan!


Sunday Lesson:
I've been substituting in Primary for the last couple of weeks. I LOVE the children in my class. They are so bright and excited to learn about Jesus. This Sunday we talked about how the teachings of Jesus Christ ar a great treasure. I was thinking about this Friday night as I went to sleep and came up with an idea about making a treasure map where the children could gather "treasures" along the way. I like fabric a lot more than paper so this is what I made:

Each of the features (compass, islands, sandcastle, dolphins, etc) flips over and has a pocket behind it. I sketched on shrinky dink paper pictures that corresponded with what we were learning (boy reading the scriptures, baptism, someone receiving the Gift of the Holy Ghost, CTR, girl praying, Thomas S. Monson, picture of Jesus with children) and put them inside the pockets. The children took turns moving the boat and turning over the next feature. They gathered the shrinky dink pictures and put them in their own treasure bags. The children were so into the lesson that the didn't ask for food or complain about how hungry they were. That's really remarkable for them!! I had extra time at the end of the lesson so the children each took a turn teaching a lesson about the pictures. Although I am obviously pleased with my map, I was most effected by the sweet testimonies shared by these children as they taught about Jesus.

Quote for the day:
"It's not only children who grow. Parents do too. As much as we watch to see what our children do with their lives, they are watching us to see what we do with ours. I can't tell my children to reach for the sun. All I can do is reach for it, myself."~Joyce Maynard

1 comment:

Linn said...

Jenn, Can you even imagine how fabulous I think you are? Probably not. The map was incredible, those girls are darling and that quote is just what I needed to hear. Thanks Jenn!