I had a scare this last month. I found a lump on my right breast. After seeing my primary physician, she suggested that I get a mammogram and possibly a sonogram. The nurse made the appointment and told me that I wouldn't be seen until January. This was obviously disturbing! With all the efforts to increase Breast Cancer awareness, once a lump is discovered it should be tested immediately. I called the lab directly later that day and was told that they were incredibly busy for the rest of the year but they could get me in on Dec. 12. This was somewhat comforting but that is still a long time to wait. They agreed to put me on the wait list and they would call when/if an earlier spot became available. I got a call this afternoon from the Outpatient Pavilion saying I could be seen immediately. Wahoo!! I had a wonderful friend drop everything and come watch the girls.
Although I was critical of the scheduling situation, I have to praise the staff that took care of me today. They were extremely attentive and did everything possible to make me comfortable, warm and informed.
Ultimately the doctor said that nothing showed up on the mammogram or sonogram. RELIEF!! I made him touch the lump - I wanted him to know I wasn't faking it (but really, who would fake it for a oh-so-comfortable mammogram???) He had me dress (who can think when they are half naked?) and took me into his office. He showed me the results and explained that breast tissue can sometimes be lumpy. He felt 99% sure that I had nothing to worry about. He said more stuff... but I couldn't think... turns out I can't think with my clothes on either!!
I am so grateful for my body! So grateful for modern medicine that can help us get the care we need. A scare like this really puts life into perspective. My family is soooo important to me! We have much more growing ahead of us!!
1 comment:
SOOOOO HAPPY to hear Jenn! I have been praying that everything would work out. I am glad it did! LOVE YOU!
Post a Comment