Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Thanksgiving Highlights

We enjoyed Thanksgiving in Utah with family and friends. Here are the highlights:
* Visiting with the Smith Family in Vegas and Great Grandpa Winn
* Holding Brookyln, err. I mean Brooklyn for the first time!! (I spent a ridiculous amount of time making a baby blanket for Brooklyn and then I spelled her name wrong on the back! Grrr...) Sydney and Haylee loved meeting Brooklyn and were thrilled that they got to hold her.
* Bowling in Sandy with special friends
* Hanging around the hotel - We stayed at the Park City Mountain Resort. I came up a few days early with the girls and Aaron flew out before Thanksgiving and drove home with us. We kept the luggage carrier thing in the room for a few days so the girls could practice doing their pull-ups.

* Visiting with Liz, my YW leader during my tumultuous teenage years. Love her! She still inspires me.
* Goofing around with cousins! Always fun to be with Ashley and Andrew (we missed Racheal- she had things to do with her mom). My favorite part was going sledding Saturday night in fresh snow. I love the quiet, peace of new snow and being the first to make tracks. The kids had the most fun playing in the hot tub. They kept jumping out of the hot tub and would roll around in the snow to cool off.
* Skiing with the girls!! The first day we went out it was FREEZING!! After 1 run, Sydney was done for the day. Although dissapointed, I couldn't blame her. It was cold!! Haylee and Aaron battled the cold for a couple hours. After a few runs on the bunny slope, Haylee wanted to take on the mountain so they went "to the top of the mountain." About half way down, the cold got the best of Haylee and Aaron had to help her down the rest of the way. Still a remarkable day for a beginner skier! We went out again the day after Thanksgiving and this time purchased boot and glove warmers!! They made a HUGE difference! The girls both skied several runs on the bunny slope and one run from the "top of the mountain." Sydney didn't want to stop at the end of the day so she and Aaron had a few more runs on the bunny slope while Haylee and I warmed up in the snack shop. Sydney is a cautious skier and makes lots of controlled turns. Haylee is more daring but not as skilled. At one point during the day, Aaron and I shared a special parent moment. We were nervous that the girls wouldn't like the cold or skiing and were really happy to see them enjoying themselves.
* Thanksgiving dinner with Matt, Corinne, and my parents! Corinne made a fantastic meal!! Thank you Corinne!!! Turkey, yams, BREAD!! YUM! LOVE YOU GUYS!!
- My camera was acting up so I didn't take a lot of pictures. We did videotape the girls skiing.

2 comments:

Jake said...

A Happy Thanksgiving indeed! I could not have survived rolling in the snow like those grandchildren. I'm getting too acclimated to Texas.

corinneandmatt said...

Brookyln loved meeting her cousins too! And she wanted me to tell you she loves her new nickname and her quilt! Thank you!