
We are in the middle of an exterior remodel! Last week they took off the old siding, prepared electrical for new lights, treated minor termite damage (UGGGHHH!) and made all the exterior walls nice and straight. The tool they used to shave parts of the wood frame sounded like dental equipment - the grounding, high pitch of a root canal!! I had to leave during that part!! Today they started putting in insulation. The only part of my house that had insulation was the garage and only because we put it in when we drywalled last year! I still have a couple of days to decide on the house color but I am 99% sure we'll use a dark blue/gray color with white on the trim pieces. Aaron's super nervous about the color but I think/hope/pray he'll like it. I keep trying to reassure him.
One of the best things I've learned through this process is that my walls don't have mold! Yahoo!! My allergies have been HORRIBLE the last couple of years and I've been blaming it on the wall next to my bedroom with the flower box but it is all clear. I also had a sinus CAT scan last week and learned that I have a sinus infection. Lovely. Now that I am on steroids and antibiotics, I can finally smell again!
While I was having the sinus CAT scan My house almost burnt down! I had left a plumber at my house to fix an exterior faucet - the faucet I thought was causing rot in the flower box next to my bedroom. I drove up just as he was leaving. He left his car running in the street and walked up to the house with me telling me he'd like to get paid. As we walked to the door, I noticed smoke coming from below the faucet. I pointed it out to him - at which point he used a few choice words and doused the area with water from my new faucet. I kept walking in the house and got my check book. When I returned he was standing there - calm, cool and collected. I asked him if he put the fire out. He acted like nothing ever happened. I paid him - which Aaron is still upset about - and he drove away. Can you believe it?? He caught my house on fire while he was sautering the metal on the faucet. Goodness. My house has a guarding angel. Almost seven years ago when we moved in we had the bathrooms remodeled. While my contractor was here and everything was torn out, water started gushing in from the outside (coincidentally, from the same area as the exterior faucet). He ran outside and turned off the water main but the water kept coming. Finally he figured out that the neighbor's sprinklers were on. He had her turn them off and discovered that unbeknownst to her, she had been watering my front flower box. CRAZY. The miracle, tender mercy if you will, is that my contractor was there, stopped the water flow, wet-vac'd the bathroom, put fans on the area and it didn't do a lick of damage! Seriously! If the pipe had to break, it couldn't have happened at a better time.
Every morning Sydney and Haylee pray for the construction workers - they ask for them to be safe and to do a good job. I think their prayers are being answered!
7 comments:
I can't wait to see the finished product! And yeah for guardian angels, on people or houses, they are wonderful.
Wow! I bet your tempted to live in a Marriott for the next month.
So excited for your new old house! Can't wait to see it!
We were at Bassett furniture the other day and they told us that gray is the new color. You are ahead of the curve! I think it will look beautiful!
so exciting! i think the color sounds perfect.
I'm glad that you're documenting the remodel process. As noisy and busy as these days are, they will pass and you'll soon have a beautiful castle back.
I think you have two guardian angels - and their names are Sydney and Haylee.
Wow, what crazy stories! So glad it all worked out. How wonderful to put in insulation. We don't have any here, and it makes a big difference. Insulation will be high on the priority list when we move to our next place. Make sure to post pics of the final project!
Post a Comment